On this open-ended liveblog we will maintain updates on the whereabouts of Iran’s opposition leaders until such a time as they are released from their house arrests. Check back for updates. We will be working closely with Iran New Now and Enduring America to continue this coverage.
March 15 2011:
Mousavi and his wife Rashnavard appear to still be under strict house arrest. Several sources had stated that they had been moved to prison, but since February 14th they have been under a strict house arrest, and no one had communicated with either the Mousavis or the Karroubis for a period of weeks. On March 14, the children of Mousavi were finally allowed to see their parents. They were then warned not to speak to the media about this, but that rule has obviously been broken.
The whereabouts of Mehdi Karroubi and his wife are still unknown. Several days ago someone reported that a light was on in their home, but no one has spoken to the Karroubis for several weeks.
Neither leader has been formally arrested or charged with a crime.
28 FEBRUARY 2011:
The latest information: Mousavi, Rashnavard, Karroubis moved to Heshmatiyeh Prison. These updates from Monday’s Liveblog:
1710 GMT: The Arrest of Mousavi, Rahnavard, and Karroubi. Mir Hossein Mousavi’s Kalemeh claims that Mousavi, Zahra Rahnavard, and Mehdi and Fatemeh Karroubi have been moved to Heshmatiyeh Prison in Tehran.
Meanwhile, this appears to be as close as the regime has come to admitting the detentions. Iran Prosecutor General Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei has said that cut-off of communications and house arrest — not the move to a prison or house controlled by security forces, but restriction to their residences — is “only the first step”.
1630 GMT: The Arrest of Mousavi, Rahnavard, and Karroubi. The stakes have been raised over the move of opposition figures to a house of detention, as Mehdi Karroubi’s Saham News has accused the Supreme Leader’s office of ordering the seizure of Karroubi and his wife Fatemeh, Mir Hossein Mousavi, and Zahra Rahnavard.
Saham News also reports that authorities are trying to find Karroubi’s son Hossein, who gave details of the detentions last night, and arrest him. Security forces raided Hossein Karroubi’s residence two weeks ago, reportedly to detain him, but he was not at home.
Banooye Sabz translates the important entry from Mehdi Karroubi’s Saham News that we summarised below:
In a brief discussion with Saham News, one of Mehdi Karroubi’s sons confirmed the definitive transfer of Mehdi Karroubi and his wife to an undisclosed location by security forces stating: “A few minutes ago I spoke with one of the neighbors who witnessed the transfer of my parents from their house. The individual informed us that at midnight on Thursday night, eight vans belonging to security forces appeared in front of the building and the main parking lot where Karroubi’s house is located. Minutes later they left inside a car that left the parking structure. According to the eye witness, once they left, the building was completely vacated and the lights to the residence were turned off.”It is worth mentioning that this event coincided with a highly secure atmosphere in Tehran on Thursday with the Minister of Intelligence announcing that morning that important new information would be put forth to the nation on national television.
February 27, 2011 -
2210 GMT: One of the sons of Mehdi and Fatemeh Karroubi has said that his parents were probably moved on Thursday night at around midnight from their residence to the house of detention. He said that a neighbour had seen a security van pull up outside his parents’ complex. After the van’s departure, the lights in the Karroubi home was off and never came on again.
1700 GMT: Abulhassan Banisadr, Iran’s first President and a prominent political figure, has condemned the detention of Mehdi Karroubi and Mir Hossein Mousavi. In an interview with Asre Jadid (Modern Age) Radio, he stated, “All Iranians and non-Iranians must defend Mousavi and Karroubi’s rights.” He also linked Iran’s opposition movement to the pro-democracy movement in the Arab world.
The following update comes from Enduring America:
1325 GMT: A source for EA and Dissected News has reported the following, which we are treating as unconfirmed, “The Supreme National Security Council issued the house arrest verdict, and the verdict was issued to Karroubi through a judge called Nourian.”
1105 GMT: In a poll conducted by the conservative Jahan News, 41% of readers called for the lifting of house arrests of Mir Hossein Mousavi, Zahra Rahnavard, and Mehdi and Fatemeh Karroubi.
The survey was conducted before the news, which is still not being carried by Iranian state media, that the four had been taken to a house of detention overseen by the Revolutionary Guards.
0845 GMT: Opposition activist Hasan Shariatmadari, in a video interview, has called on all in the Green Movement to protest the arrests of Mousavi, Rahnavard, and the Karroubis. He warns that, if there is no reaction, the regime may be emboldened to kill the detainees.
0043 GMT – CNN confirms that Mir Hossein Mousavi, Zahra Rahnavard (Mousavi’s wife and an accomplished activist ) , and Mehdi and Fatemeh Karroubi have been removed to a “safe house” by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), supposedly to “protect” the leaders from members of the opposition who are looking for martyrs. Within minutes of the report, the claims that the opposition movement would harm their own leaders were widely condemned by experts, analysts, and members of the opposition.
“The head of the Iranian parliament’s National Security Commission has said that Mousavi and Karroubi were “escorted” by security forces.
Alaeddin Boroujerdi also denied they were under house arrest, and told Italian newspaper Il Manifesto that “they also committed certain illegal acts such as organising protests without a permit, and for this they may become subject to prosecution”.
The two men had been reportedly arrested secretly without being summoned or charged, and their contact with the outside world was effectively cut.”
As of right now, no one knows the location or the condition of Mir Hossein Mousavi, Zahra Rahnavard, and Mehdi and Fatemeh Karroubi except the government of Iran.
Feburary 26, 2011 – On the morning of February 26, 2011 (7 Esfand) the International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran published a report that Mousavi and Karroubi (and their wives) had been removed from house arrest to a “safe house”, by unknown forces and without being formally charged.
Former President Mohammad Khatami, Ayatollah Dastgheib, the reformist Islamic Iran Participation Front, and Ahmed Montazeri, the son of the late Grand Ayatollah Montazeri, were among those who spoke out against the house arrests of these leaders.
In the days before this event, Mehdi Karroubi’s house was attacked and occupied by security forces, and both leaders had been increasingly isolated from their families and advisors.
February 14, 2011 (25 Bahman) In the days before the opposition took to the streets in solidarity with the protesters in Egypt, reports began to circulate that Mir Hossein Mousavi had been placed under house arrest. During this time, Mehdi Karroubi was also placed under house arrest and his phone lines were cut.Posted in Featured, Foreign Policy, Iran, Live Blogs, Live Blogs: Iran, Middle East, Politics